Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Meeting with Michael Popich

My meeting with Professor Popich was a very brief one indeed.  As I awkwardly entered his room on the fourth floor of Foster Hall I noticed at first that he kept a whole lot of books.  The second thing I noticed was that he seemed entirely unenthusiastic about the whole prospect of starting a debate team.  He was in charge of the Ethics bowl team, so clearly he saw me as an even greater burden.

It is fortunate to note that I had no intention of shoving the debate team upon him.  The week before Professor Rulon Wood had agreed to coach our team, and Tim Dolan was already the club advisor.  What I needed him for was something of far more importance than helping the Debate Team start up.

I needed him to join myself and my Mock Trial coach in the creation of the new Academic Department that would house all of the academic teams.  The trio of academic teams could accomplish together something grand for the school, and that would be this umbrella programme.  Debate, Mock Trial, and Ethics Bowl all working in tandem to develop direct funding of the academic teams.  This would work much the same way as the sports teams were funded, and would increase efficiency greatly.

The school needs a strong academic team base if we are to get the best and brightest prospective students to attend.  By accomplishing this we will make Westminster a stronger school.

-Brendan

(On a side note I am not getting paid for this...  Which is funny because I am spending so much of my personal time trying to improve a school that I am paying an arm and a leg to attend.  Hopefully the school will also offer out debate scholarships for those who come to the school; maybe even offer me one as well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment